Helpers among the community of Pittsburgh area UUs. Link to the main Sunnyhill site.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Reactions on bylaws session from Peter Konke

I attended a bylaws session, and my thoughts were duly noted, but I would like to give a wider airing of them.

The driving force for the bylaws update is apparently to give the president a 2 year term instead of a 1 year term. Along the way, the entire bylaws are being updated, which is a great idea.

But there are more paradigms than just 1 vs 2 years. I am familiar with an entirely different approach from my work on the Montour Trail Council. First, I was almost shocked that there were an even number of people on the board. I have never heard of such a thing, presumably as it permits the possibility of tie votes. But my main point is that the officers are elected each year by the board, NOT the congregation. Also, the president is limited to 3 consecutive one-year terms. This allows for 1, 2, or 3 year tenures. Great flexibility.

Works fine for the MTC. Don't know about Sunnyhill. My purpose in bringing this up is to stimulate conversation and thought.

Peter Kohnke

No comments: